Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The reborn-abyssqual comparison

I am prepared to receive alot of hate for this.

But it must be said.

PS: Pls ignore why this post mimics a personal diary, or sounds like i'm thinking aloud or that im crazy.

For the past few days preparing for Oceanics and final exams, i have come across a very very contradictory situation : Maining Monster reborn in dragons.

the first thing you must think is this guy is out of his mind, reborn is a staple card and reborn is a very versatile card which aids in many otks, and many comboes, it is hardly ever dead, and you can do so many cool stuff with more than 1 tuner (like the shamir otk!)

The thing is, i couldn't agree more.

i noticed a long long time ago, that reborn was cut from japanese decks and i had no problem with accepting that. One of its primary uses now in TCG is to combat verz by bringing back a dracosack and bringing back level 4s to make that gemknight pearl vs verz. Verz is pretty big here, so reborn is theoretically pretty good (it still is)

However, that decision plaqued me for several days as reborn is the 41st card in my deck, and i have to say, im out of space (i am thinking of playing other cards). It was hardly ever dead, in playtesting on DN, and although i never playtested with my deck much in real life (outside of the last regionals) , i never found it dead and i never regretted drawing it.

However, when i was discussing with a friend about the viablitity of RFTDD once again (i love hearing peoples opinions ), and he came up with a very good metaphor. RFTDD is very much like abyssqual in mermails, its dead early game, it provides alot of leverage but yet it is just somehow not needed. When i was playing mermails, i was a very big fan of squalless builds.

The same goes for reborn. We know its (somehow) not needed, its a card which you would like to have in winning situations (most of the time you're in one), and when i discussed with another friend, he told me :

1) reborn is a winmoar card, meaning that reborn is good when you are in a winning position, and helps aid your victory but it also doesnt do that much if your in a losing position. This argument is very true. Because if i play against dragons and my opponent has 3-4 colours and a maxx c and i have dead cards in hand like reborn, reju, and not enough dragons, what am i going to do? the most i can do is to make a synchro, or if possible, a dracosack/big eye, but what follow up will i have? My opponent will easily overpower me next turn with his own big eye , and more big beaters.

Similarly vs verz, if your opponent has a whole load of traps and you have reborn, whats the point? Although i dont think my points for the verz comparison is solid (you must have as many options as possible), but you get the idea.

Also Reborn Vs Prophecy is very subpar considering how often jowgen is on the field. Builds that play exchange love Reborn in your hand, its free stuff for them !

But still that was not enough to convince me. This whole thing i had considered a while ago, but i still could not bear to cut reborn.

Asking me to cut Reborn was like asking Yugi to cut dark magician from his deck.

Then i started taking out my deck and tutoring some hands.

I drew " 1 Max C 1 Droll Lock bird, 1 Super Reju, 1 baby, 1 reborn, 1  Storm" . I checked my 7th draw and saw Effect veiler.

Yup bye reborn!

8 comments:

SpiceyYanni1 said...

Hey this is a little off topic but do you have any idea where I would be able to purchase the OCG Element Dragon play mats? Fraizer Smith posted the pics of them on his Facebook and they look REALLY nice lol.

Also, I cut reborn as well but I have been trying out RFTDD but will probably cut that soon. After all, why play return if I am not even playing reborn.

mike9944 said...

Lol my sentiments exactly, reborn is less dead than return. The ocg mats can only be redeemed from points, which you get for buying products. With what said, you need to access and ocg player and ask him / her to redeem it for u and then settle on a price.

SpiceyYanni1 said...

Well I topped the Toronto Regional on Saturday. There were I think 360ish people if not more. 9 long rounds.

I went 8-1 and finished 5th after swiss, won the top 8 match too. I am happy with the deck and the Dracossack mat is sooooo sexy

mike9944 said...

gratz. saw your dgz report, but i forgot my dgz acc password so i dont comment anymore XD

SpiceyYanni1 said...

What is your opinion on Psi-Blocker? It seems like an amazing side card if not main. Call ophion, Iron Wall, Veiler, Maxx c. Seems like it can be a lot better than sided mst or tsukyomi

mike9944 said...

I've been hearing alot about it. But haven't tested it out yet, will do so later.

ATM I don't like it very much, because it doesn't exactly solve the problem once and for all. But I will test it out. And results usually prove different from theory. Let me know your verdict too thanks.

Unlike tsukuyomi, it gets stuck on the field which I don't like. Tsukuyomi automatically destroys kycoo, if you don't have any dragon resources. Similarly with psyblocker, against verz, both cards can be veilered or something.

I like how it's cool against the mirror, by calling/baiting veiler.

mike9944 said...

Also, if I do play it in the main, I would cut droll and lock bird. Or BTS cos i hate this card but its needed for verz and random ladd angel07 shit :( Having wayyyy too many cards unrelated to the dragon archetype is just way too inconsistent. Sometimes you can open hand trap/ protection hand and just die.

SpiceyYanni1 said...

Yeah if I were to side it/ main it droll would come out. After game 1 I try to keep the dragons in but I sometimes cut 1 lightning out but atm I am only testing 1 lightning now so that wouldn't help.

Only issue I have with no droll is the prophecy match up.